What is Data Roaming:
Data Roaming is a convenient system that allows you to use the same mobile phone number that you have in Bermuda, while roaming over other mobile carrier networks overseas, in countries that your mobile provider has a roaming partnership with.
When you are roaming on another mobile network, a mobile company from the country you are visiting will bill your mobile company for the calls you make while using their network – these airtime charges are then passed on to you. Airtime usage is from the time a network processes a call until the time you hang up.
This means that family and friends can still call or text you, as if you were still at home. Special rates apply for dialing and receiving calls, data usage or text messages while overseas. Charges for calls placed while roaming internationally will appear on your regular bill and may take up to two weeks to process.
However – be aware that international roaming charges can add up quickly and you might accrue a large bill in a short time. Here are some ways to manage your mobile phone when you travel overseas.
How to manage your data roaming costs:
- Turn off your data roaming option: Only switch it on when you need to access the internet. You can still make phone calls or send text messages on your phone. But if you need to make a phone call – you may want to use a Voice over IP app (eg. WhatsApp calling/ Facetime) in a Free Wi-Fi Hotspot
- How to turn off your mobile data option: on your mobile phone – go to settings/networks/ then select data roaming and turn on /off. For specific details on how to switch your data off, you can Google the name/type of phone for more instructions
- Only switch your Data Roaming option on when you need to access the internet
- Ask your mobile provider about their data roaming packages to get reduced roaming rates
- Purchase a prepaid sim card with data from the country you are visiting
- Use free wi-fi wherever possible: many hotels, coffee shops offer free wi-fi connection for mobile devices
- Be prepared: download videos/music/ebooks to your mobile device before you travel
- Turn off app updates and purge when you are in a free wi-fi zone